Monday 29 August 2011

Good food but empty house...

     It's been 2 weeks since I last checked in, and it seems as though a lot, and yet nothing, has happened since then.  The weekend before this past one, there was a work party for the company John works for at a fantastically swank place.  We ate, drank, and DANCED.  Oh yes, everyone had the spirit (or spririts shall we say) of fun in them and by the end of the evening, it was a full-blown dance-off, Bollywood-style!  So much fun and a great release, especially since at 5 am following the party, John had to hop a flight to Dublin.  He was gone for a week, working mostly, but also enjoying the famed Irish joys of Guinness, cool weather, beautiful landscapes, and pub culture.  Yes, I was sad that I had been left all by my lonesome for  a week to tend to our little flat in Delhi, but it wasn't all bad- I was introduced to a side of Delhi culture that couldn't have resembled my dearly-missed, New York, restaurant/foodie days more- and I mean that, of course, in the of best ways.
     The head of John's company must have taken pity on my left-behind soul because he called me up and invited me to a private food tasting at a new restaurant that was about to open.  One of the partners at the restaurant was a good friend of his and I happily joined, eager to try the molecular-gastronomy side of Delhi food and excited at the prospect of cocktails and conversation.  The restaurant was amazing- still a work in progress, set to open in 3-4 weeks, but the food, fantastic- shiitake mushroom canapes, chicken pate, lobster bisque, fresh tagliatelle, charred watermelon, and STEAK!  My first cow in months and delicious!  Not to mention other small bites and several desserts, each course paired with a different specialty cocktail- really top notch and exquisitely presented.  My hat off to the chef at the soon-to-be Smokehouse Room, Delhi!  
     The rest of the week I went to yoga, volunteered with the kids, worked on a couple of pieces, watched the occasional movie, and pitter-pattered about eating mostly popcorn and cheesy toast.  I must say, I regress culinarily when alone.
     At 4:00 am Sunday morning, John returned from Ireland, and while I'm thrilled to have him back, he'll be heading off to Uganda next weekend!  We've got a great week together ahead of us, and hopefully it will work out that I can join on these trips occasionally in the future.  In the meantime, I am looking forward to cooler weather, the festival and wedding season, and a trip of my own to Rishikesh in October!  We'll also be planning a longer trip down south to Kerala in December so if anyone would like to join us on a houseboat, cruising the backwaters, speak now!

p.s- changed the text background of this blog- easier to read?


a break in the dancing at Second Sin where the DevInfo company party was held



BEST Bollywood hot new song to shake your booty to!  
LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment