Monday 26 March 2012

The End...

     There's no doubt that I have been slacking these last few weeks in keeping up with our going-ons.  There have certainly been several notable trips/events, but I've been more wrapped up in the departure preparations currently underway than anything else.  I went to Uganda for a week with John, which was absolutely incredible.  I loved the land, I loved the people, I loved the climate, and I can't wait to go back.  We went horseback riding and whitewater rafting on the Nile, and then spent several days in Kampala, the capital.  It was my first trip to Africa (!) and I look forward to sharing more about the experience, including my desperate desire to return.
 



     We also celebrated Holi on March 8th- Holi is one of the largest Indian holidays, during which everyone throws water and powdered pigments on each other.  It takes form in anything from the standard greeting of the day to all out wars with water guns filled with vibrant dyes.  It was absolutely wild and puts any "festival" in the states to shame, for sure.  (My hair still has non-intentional pink streaks...)
    On Thursday we leave for Goa for one last "hoorah"- 3 days of beach-bumming before packing our bags for the long flight home!
     One of the more important things coming to a close for me is my time at VSA.  Monday, April 3rd will be my last day with the kiddos, and, of course, I'm quite sad to be leaving them.  They've been a huge part of my time here, and I'm going to miss them very much.  They are having a little tea-party on Monday, as a send-off, and I am very grateful to everyone there for the hospitality and appreciation they have shown me. Neelu, the director of VSA, asked me to write a small note for their newsletter, and I would like to share it here because it best reflects my feelings regarding my time at VSA:



Very Special Arts India
3/25/12
  

     When I moved to Delhi 9 months ago, I had no idea what I was going to do or how I was going to use my time here.  I knew I wanted to spend some time volunteering amongst other things, but had no idea where.  By remarkable coincidence, I was reading First City magazine one day, my first week in Delhi, and there was an article about VSA.  It was exactly what I was looking for and in my neighborhood; I couldn’t believe my luck, and I eagerly called to set up a meeting about volunteer opportunities. 
     8 ½ months later, I am incredibly sad to be leaving VSA.  I have spent a couple of days each week (minus a few weeks here and there) working on arts and crafts projects with the children of VSA, and the experience has been invaluable.   I never could have imagined enjoying my time so much or becoming so attached to the children.  They brighten my day no matter what, and I always leave happier for having been there.  Whether going to the citywide music competitions, singing and dancing, or painting and playing- it has all been a refreshing and welcomed addition to my life here.
      It is as much a selfish act, volunteering at VSA, as it is an altruistic one, if not more so, as the joy I receive from the kids is priceless, and it is they who are enriching my day whenever I am there.  There have certainly been some moments more difficult than others, and it can be challenging as I cannot speak Hindi, but in the end I have found that communication, especially in this case, is intuitive. In spite of the absence of a common formal language, I have gotten to know the children individually and have built a bond with them.  And while I know that I am one of many volunteers, coming and going through the years, it is a bond that I am not likely to forget, as VSA has been an integral part of my life in Delhi. 
     No matter what we do, from potato stamps and handprints, to noisemakers and paper-mache, the energy and excitement of the kids is always extraordinary, and it is their smiles and enthusiasm for which I am most grateful.  I’ve never worked anywhere where the general mood of the children and the environment were so consistently positive.  VSA is a remarkable place, and I am constantly inspired by the spirit and hard work of not only the children, but also the staff.  Everyone has been extremely helpful and welcoming during my time there, and I have learned a great deal from staff and children alike. 
     Thank you, to everyone at Very Special Arts- every child and adult- for contributing to a treasured experience and for adding a greater purpose and personal joy to my days in Delhi.   I appreciate all that Very Special Arts does, and while I am very sad to be leaving, I look forward to visiting again!  












No comments:

Post a Comment